According to estimated data from McKinsey, by 2030, artificial intelligence is expected to drive a global economy worth approximately 13 trillion US dollars. While the enjoyment of autonomous driving is often highlighted as the primary benefit for everyday consumers, the impact of artificial intelligence extends far beyond that. With the wave of automation, this technology has permeated various sectors of society. By emulating human behavior, artificial intelligence empowers electronic devices to think independently, enhancing their intelligence and improving our daily lives. In this TechSparks article, we will delve into the basic concept of artificial intelligence, exploring its workings and applications in greater detail.
Definition of Artificial Intelligence
An abbreviation for Artificial Intelligence is AI, in simple terms, refers to the process in which electronic devices learn and optimize tasks by imitating human learning behaviors. Through multiple iterations and updates, these devices are capable of making more accurate decisions. The following are several manifestations of artificial intelligence technology and their functions:
- Chatbots: They initially provide instructions and, through multiple question-and-answer interactions and feedback, improve their ability to process information and provide more effective answers to customer queries.
- Smart assistants: These assistants use AI technology to extract key information from large datasets, improving scheduling and enhancing their ability to understand and respond to user needs.
- Search engines: They match user-entered keywords with the text in their databases and adjust the accuracy of search results based on user feedback (e.g., browsing time, bounce rate). This iterative process helps refine the search experience.
Apart from the mentioned examples, artificial intelligence encompasses computer vision, intelligent adaptive learning, and autonomous unmanned systems. Rather than having independent thinking abilities, robotic systems can be seen as a “human” with advanced data analysis capabilities and optimized processing. Concerns about robots replacing humans and taking over the world stem from their continuous data collection and improvement abilities. However, the original purpose of developing AI technology is not to replace manual labor but to assist and enhance human behavior and capabilities.
Weak and Strong Artificial Intelligence
Weak Artificial Intelligence: also known as narrow artificial intelligence (ANI), refers to artificial intelligence systems that are specialized in a specific field or task. They possess excellent learning capabilities but are limited in their application. For instance, the AlphaGo robot that defeated the world champion in the game of Go is an example of weak artificial intelligence. While it excels in playing Go, it lacks the ability to solve other types of problems. Therefore, we classify these AI systems with specialized abilities as weak artificial intelligence.
Strong Artificial Intelligence: also referred to as artificial general intelligence (AGI), represents artificial intelligence that closely resembles human cognitive abilities. Examples of strong artificial intelligence can be seen in technology movies where robots exhibit intelligence comparable to humans. These electronic smart products possess the capability to perform almost any mental task that a human can. Developing strong artificial intelligence is more challenging compared to weak artificial intelligence due to the complexity of replicating human-like thinking and cognitive abilities.
4 Common Applications of Artificial Intelligence
- Emotion Recognition Technology: Emotion recognition AI robots use advanced image processing technology or audio data processing technology to read people’s micro-expressions and intonation to judge emotions. At present, this technology is widely used in the public security system. We can often see police officers using lie detectors to deduce the testimony of suspects in police movies.
- Image Recognition Technology: This technology is widely used in face recognition or image search. It is a process in which an artificial intelligence robot scans objects or features in digital images or videos to match people or objects. Common applications of this technology include image search on social platforms, face recognition verification, etc.
- Smart Marketing Technology: Smart marketing refers to pushing content that may be of interest to users based on their habits. When we use our cell phones or computers they can accurately push content that we have searched for in the past, causing us to feel like we are being watched, often called “big data”, which is actually a form of smart marketing. We are most touched by Google’s exposure ads, TikTok content push and so on.
- Speech Recognition Technology: The voice assistant in the mobile phone is the master of this technology. There are currently hundreds of thousands of systems transcribing human language through voice-response interactive systems and mobile apps.
Why artificial intelligence
Promote Global Technology Development
- AIOps Takes Center Stage: The increasing complexity of IT systems has necessitated the adoption of AIOps solutions. These solutions enable IT operations and other teams to enhance core processes, tasks, and decision-making by leveraging detailed analysis of vast volumes and diverse categories of incoming data. To navigate this landscape, IT leaders must rely on AIOps providers who facilitate collaboration across teams through data correlation. These vendors offer end-to-end digital experiences and seamless integration with IT operations management tools.
- Convergence of AI and IoT: While the concept of the Internet of Things (IoT) is not new, we are now witnessing the seamless convergence of AI and IoT. This trend has gained traction across various industries, enabling numerous valuable use cases. By incorporating artificial intelligence technology, AIoT systems can autonomously execute tasks and learn from data without human intervention. AIoT will significantly impact sectors such as aviation, automotive, finance, manufacturing, healthcare, and supply chain. It will play a vital role in creating smart buildings, cities, and retail environments, leveraging data to enhance security measures, promote sustainability practices, improve customer experiences, optimize real-time deliveries, and more.
AI Smart Technology Helps Businesses
The essence of artificial intelligence lies in its ability to learn and surpass human perception and response to the world. Today, AI is rapidly becoming a catalyst for innovation, delivering enhanced value through machine learning techniques that recognize patterns in data and drive predictions for businesses.
By leveraging AI technology, companies can gain a deeper understanding of the vast amounts of available data and automate complex or repetitive tasks based on predictive insights. This enables organizations to improve their workforce structure and drive intelligent and automated processes, surpassing human capabilities and generating significant commercial value.
Both countries and enterprises recognize the importance of data science and are investing heavily in research and development. In a recent survey conducted by Gartner, over 2,000 CIOs were asked about business intelligence issues. The survey revealed that nearly 90% of CIOs believe AI technology will directly impact the strategic deployment of enterprises and create more opportunities for financing.
AI has the potential to create value across various functions, businesses, and industries. Examples include using transactional and demographic data to predict customer spending, optimizing pricing based on customer behavior and preferences, and using image recognition to analyze X-ray images for signs of cancer.
To maximize the value of AI, enterprises should focus on the following areas, as identified by a survey conducted by Harvard Business Review:
- Detecting and preventing security breaches (44%)
- Resolving technical issues with users (41%)
- Streamlining production administration work (34%)
- Evaluating internal compliance when using technology from certified vendors (34%)
The Impact of AI Technology on Consumers
- Increasing Consumption Desire: AI intelligent robots have become a means of customer engagement and promotion for large supermarkets, serving as core elements of artificial intelligence. The R&D team inputs decoded data into the execution chip and embeds it into the robots, enabling them to understand the preferences and trends of target consumers through information search. This consumer-centric approach accurately identifies target customers, allowing the marketing team to develop tailored strategies to attract and engage this group.
- Enhancing Convenience: Artificial intelligence is revolutionizing our daily lives, making it more convenient than ever before. These technologies enable us to perform a wide range of tasks from the comfort of our homes, including shopping, dating, traveling, and more, which were unimaginable in the pre-21st century era. Innovative applications like facial recognition and fingerprint unlocking operate seamlessly without human intervention. Delegating certain tasks to artificial intelligence can save us significant time, allowing us to focus on other important aspects of our lives. AI opens up new possibilities and opportunities.